May 20, 2016

"Odd One Out"

"Hi." I'm Rosy but everyone calls me "Odd Ball". I'm from Missouri and I have bright red hair. I have two tattoos. One says "Odd One Out" on my chest and the other one says "Forget Society" on my right arm. I'm different from the people in my hometown. Despite my love for crop, black, leather jackets and all things rock, I'm actually a sweetheart. I'm a writer with a nose and an eyebrow piercing.

My best friend is Desiree. She's a New York City gal with a big heart and a closet full of clothes. She's a curvy model. Unlike me, she has no tattoos and she wears sundresses. We've been best friends for years. We met in school. She was popular and I was not. Only God knows how we became best friends. She sees the world through a realistic lens and I wear my "rosy" rainbow colored glasses.

It's not easy being the "Odd Ball". Everyone here tends to judge me by my red hair and my tattoos. I've been turned down by so many jobs, that I can't even remember them all. However, I'm sure they would remember me. After all, who forgets a girl with tattoos like mines? Just kidding.

I wear my heart on my sleeve and my lack of a filter tends to get me into unnecessary trouble. My list of friends is the bare minimal. I lost friends as quickly as I make them. Kind of like my job history and resume. Sorry, my sense of humor is a bit wicked.

Being different isn't all that it's cracked up to be. No one wants to be friends with an unemployed writer who doesn't like to be alone. Well, no one except Desiree. We'll call her "Doll" for now. Doll is different. Well, different from the people here. She has an open mind and leaves no room for judgement. She loves me just the way I am and I love her too.

Doll has a full-time job and a smart mind. I'm pretty sure her IQ is wicked high. She's that smart. I'm still waiting on the results though... Her job keeps her pretty busy. She has places to go and people to see. I envy her. It's with love though. She works hard and plays hard too. I need some that. It's not easy to work hard when you have the attention span of a small child and the memory of someone that's 90. Seriously! As quickly as I make up my mind, it takes a minute for that stuff to disappear. I'm like Dory from "Finding Nemo". You have to love her but worry about her at the same time.

Anyways, Doll is different. Her memory is good and she knows what she wants in life. And me, well, I'm lucky if I know what I want to do in a week. One minute I want to be an actress, the next a teacher, fashion designer...etc. What can I say? I have the creative, dreamer mind.

I really want to be a writer. Who wouldn't want to be the next JK Rowling? Seriously! Harry Potter is worth billions! Me, I'll be lucky if I ever see a million dollars. Shoot, I'll take half a million. Wouldn't that be something?

I keep my head in the clouds but I live on earth. Real world bills and real life situations. I dream to be a kid again. At least then your biggest worry is what toy to play with today. Now, I have debt a mile high and a part-time job to help pay the rend. Yes, I work but it stills feel like I'm unemployed. A big kid at heart trying to be an adult.

Adulthood sucks! It's overrated. Kids enjoy your childhood while you can! Have fun while it lasts because the minute it's gone, it's over! Learn to work hard, focus, and how to appreciate self-love. Or you'll end up like me! You don't want to end up like me.

Maybe one day, I'll get the hang of adulthood. Everyone tells me to take it one day at a time. Well, the day seems long when you're all alone. That's the price of being a weirdo like me...

Oh well, can't worry about it now. I'll just have to work on it. One day at a time... Maybe I'll see myself in the mirror one day and love what I see. As you can tell, I'm not as "cool" as I seem. I have problems too.

That's why I like Doll so much. She helps me see the world through her realistic lens. Maybe one day I'll see the world how she and the rest of the world sees it...

Only time will tell and for 25 years time hasn't been my friend either. Yes, I'm 25. And no, I don't really act like it. More like 18. I feel so behind from the rest of the world...

I'm trying... trying to grow up and become an adult. I'll change my hair and hide my tattoos. I'll lose the piercings and the chip on my shoulder. I'll try to remember and I'll try to focus. After all, I have to take it one day at a time and learn from my mistakes. Growing up and changing is something we all have to do...

In the meantime, I'll write. Write the world the way I see it and let the world see it too. Maybe then I won't feel so alone.

Written in 5/2016
Typed on 5/20/16
By LaTasha B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello lovely reader! Thank you so much for reading my short stories! I REALLY appreciate it! And if you're leaving a comment, thank you so much! I will respond back to you as soon as I can, and I will be sure to check out your blog as well! Have a lovely day! Love ya! x0x0x0x! :)